When embarking on a building project for either a home or building or either prefabriacted steel buildings or building kits it is important that before you start building you ensure that you meet all the building codes for your state or city. Failure to do so can result in a suspension of your building permit, until you comply with all codes for your state or city.
Below you will find a list of building resources and building codes for metal and steel buildings by state. These codes include building/dwelling codes, structural codes, plumbing codes, mechanical codes, electrical codes fire/life safety codes, accessibility codes, energy codes and elevator codes for each state. Remember that each city has its own specific building codes so check with your cities municipal codes to ensure your building plans are up-to-date.
- Alabama.gov: For Alabama county codes
- Alaska.gov: Fire and Life Safety Regulations, a Division of Fire and Life Safety
- AZ.gov: The Arizona Office of Manufactured Housing (OMH) maintains standards of safety and quality for all manufactured homes, factory built buildings and accessory structures.
- Arkansas.gov: Arkansas Building Authority
- CA.gov: California Building Standards Commission (CBSC) website
- Colorado.gov: State Buildings Programs (SBP) is responsible for establishing minimum building codes for all construction by state agencies on state-owned or state lease-purchased properties or facilities.
- CT.gov: Department of Construction Services Office of the State Building Inspector
- Delaware.gov: CHAPTER 44. BUILDING PERMITS AND CONSTRUCTION CODES
- FloriaBuilding.org: Florida Codes & Permits Online
- Georgia.gov: Georgia's Construction Codes
- Hawaii.gov: Cnstruction Code Rules: Department of Accounting and General Services
- Idaho.gov: Idaho Division of Building Safety FAQs
- Illinois.us: Building Code / Regulations
- Indiana.gov: Fire Prevention & Building Safety Commission / Code Services
- kcc.state.ks.us: Energy Efficiency and BuildingCodes in Kansas
- Kentucky.gov: Public Protection Cabinet: Department of Housing, Buildings & Construction
- Louisiana.gov: Louisiana Office of State Fire Marshal
- Maine.gov: Bureau of Build Codes & Standards
- Reed Construction: Find links to Building Codes and Authorities Having Jurisdiction for the state of Maryland
- Mass.gov: Massachusetts State Building Code
- Michigan.gov: The dedicated staff of the Bureau of Construction Codes (BCC)work as a team to assure that the built environment and the systems within are sound, safe and sanitary.
- Minnesota.us: State & county code information
Below you will find resources for building codes for metal and steel buildings in Mississippi for cities such as Jackson, Gulfport, and Biloxi.
- Mississippi.gov: The Official State Website of Mississippi
- Missouri.gov: Code of State Regulations
- Montana.gov: Department of Labor & Industry - Business Standards
- Nebraska.gov: NEBRASKA ENERGY CODES
- Nevada.gov: NEVADA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE
New Hampshire (NH)
- NN.gov: The New Hampshire State Building Code Review Board (hereafter referred to as "Board") is charged with the responsibility for reviewing and updating the New Hampshire building code.
New Jersey (NJ)
- NJ.gov: The Division of Codes and Standards establishes and enforces building codes, in partnership with the State's municipalities, to protect the health and safety of New Jersey residents.
New Mexico (NM)
- NewMexico.us: New Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department
New York (NY)
- NY.us: Division of Code Enforcement and Administration (DCEA) website
North Carolina (NC)
- NCDOI.com: NC Building Code Council home page. This page contains menus and links to assist you with the NC Code process.
North Dakota (ND)
- ND.gov: The North Dakota Division of Community Services (DCS) is assigned the responsibility of updating and amending the North Dakota State Building Code.
- Ohio.gov: Board of Building Standards
- OK.gov: Oklahoma Uniform Building Code Commission
- Oregon.gov: Oregon Building Codes Division (BCD)
- PA.us: These pages provide information regarding Pennsylvania's statewide building code, generally known as the Uniform Construction Code (UCC). Enforcement of the UCC began in April 2004.
Rhode Island (RI)
- RI.gov: State of Rhode Island: Building Code Commission
South Carolina (SC)
- SC.us: South Carolina Building Codes Council
South Dakota (SD)
- SD.gov: Manufactured Homes Statute 34-34A -- All residential manufactured homes (mobile homes) must comply with the Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards.
- TN.gov: Fire Prevention Division, Residential Building Codes
- TX.us: TDLR is providing information regarding license renewal, expiration and compliance to evacuees displaced by the effects of wildfires in Texas.
- Utah.gov: Utah Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing
- Vermont.gov: Building and Construction Licenses and Permits
- Virginia.gov: Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code
- WA.gov: SBCC is a state agency created by the legislature to provide independent analysis and objective advice to the legislature and the Governor's Office on state building code issues.
West Virginia (WV)
- WI.gov: Safety and Buildings Division Home Page
- WY.us: Department of Fire Prevention & Electrical Safety