An emergency is something that can be described as an event that occurs which is unexpected. The event could be a natural occurrence such as floods or tornadoes, or it could be man-made events such as from fire or other causes. Whatever the cause of the emergency, it is very important for people to react properly in the event of an emergency. The way people react can be the difference between an event that causes serious damage or injury, and one that does not.
The biggest way to reduce the chance of critical damage is with proper planning. By having an emergency plan that takes into account family, pets and personal property, occupants can reduce the risk of loss. It is a good idea to have plans in place for each disaster. In these plans each of the people in the building need to plan an escape route and have a location where all family members can meet. In addition, if you have pets, you need to consider their safety as well and provide ways to get them out of dangerous situations.
While the following is not a complete list of emergency resources, it should help get people started in the process. Please feel free to browse through these resources and we hope it assists you in being prepared in the event of an emergency.
- Fire Preparedness Guide - Information and help to be prepared in the event of a fire emergency.
- Home Fires - Informative page with help for homeowners in putting a safe exit plan in the event of a home fire.
- Your Family Emergency Plan - Helpful information for families to help prepare in the event of a fire or other emergency.
- Emergency Flood Preparedness - Information from the CDC on floods and what should be done to be prepared in the event of flooding.
- Natural Disasters – Informative page with information on a number of common natural disasters which can occur.
- How to Prepare for an Emergency – Useful article with a good amount of information on what to do in the event of an emergency.
- Natural Disaster Preparedness – A helpful website with information on how to prepare for common disasters.
- Natural Disaster Information – Government website with helpful information on many natural disasters.
- Family Emergency Plan – Information on how to prepare you and your family in the event of an emergency at home.
- Build a Kit – Information on what you need and how you can put together a kit for emergency use.
- Tips for Home Emergencies – Nine tips from msn.com that you can use to be safe and prepared for home emergencies.
- Disaster Preparedness – Informative page from the ASPCA about what to do with your pets in an emergency.
- What to Do in Pet Emergency Situations – Useful article about what you should do during various pet emergencies.
- Tips for Family Emergencies – Collection of twelve tips for being prepared for a variety of family emergencies.
- Get Prepared at Home – Suggestions on what should be done to get prepared for emergencies at home.
- Personal Emergency Plan – Resources that can assist families in putting together a personal emergency plan.
Conrad S. Mackie